Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hanley Ramirez Maturing?

"I want to know what it feels like,' Ramirez said. "I'm tired of watching it on TV. I want to be in there.'
 This is what Hanley's response was to as if he wanted make the playoffs this season. For the first time, I am sensing a he's starting to take the game seriously and really is aiming for something other then his own personal goals.

"I want to be able to start stealing some bases from the beginning of the season, from opening day so I get in scoring position for those guys hitting behind me. I think that's what good teams do — steal bases,' he said.
A more aggressive Hanley likely equates to a more successful season for the Marlins. That's assuming that Hanley continues stealing bases at his amazing 77% stolen base pace. If he does, a 30-30 season for a more aggressive Ramirez isn't out of the question. Will also open up more RBI opportunities for whom ever bats after Hanley (seems like it will be Stanton). 
  Asked about owner Jeffrey Loria challenging him to win an MVP award, Ramirez said: "I like the challenge that I've got to take the team to the playoffs. That's my goal. I'm going to put them on my back and go all the way to the end.'
I really hope he's serious this season. While I don't think he'll ever be at the Tulowitzski level of defense, I think he can play a capable defense out there as well. He'll put up amazing offensive stats as well, but if they're below Hanley's standards and he plays horrendous defense like he did this past season, look for the Marlins to possibly look into a position switch. Hanley may be a lot more well suited for center field.

No comments:

Post a Comment